Detect "idle" phone

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

kintrupf

Detect "idle" phone

Post by kintrupf » 10 Sep 2013 09:44

Hi,

is it possible to detect an "idle" phone?

When my phone is docked at work I like to have the app "Timely" running automatically. So the flow would be:
Trigger "every minute": condition "power connected", "screen on", "location is work", "app Timely not running", "not interacted with phone in last x minutes".

The first parts are easy, but I can't figure out how to create a condition for "not interacted with phone in last x minutes". I want the app only launched when I did not tap on the screen for at least x minutes, otherwise it would start Timely after a minute even if I'm busily tapping in an SMS or such.

Martin

Re: Detect "idle" phone

Post by Martin » 10 Sep 2013 17:31

Hi,

There is no built-in function to detect screen taps or any other way to detect user activity I'm aware of.
Is the screen constantly turned on or do you switch the screen on/off from time to time?

Regards,
Martin

kintrupf

Post by kintrupf » 11 Sep 2013 07:36

Martin wrote: Is the screen constantly turned on or do you switch the screen on/off from time to time?
The screen is constantly on while charging.

Martin

Post by Martin » 11 Sep 2013 16:53

I'm not aware of a good way to detect user activity and I can not remember that there is something available in the Android APIs to provide a trigger for this.
Maybe you could use a trigger App Task Started: * to run a flow whenever an app is started. This will not detect when you are staying in the same app over a longer period of time.