Location based Wifi On/Off limited to 1 location only?

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

felipe.tk

Location based Wifi On/Off limited to 1 location only?

Post by felipe.tk » 09 Sep 2013 13:27

Hi,

I want to handle situation when I want to use this flow in several locations, like at my house, at my parents' and a bistro that I go to on regular basis.
I tried two approaches:
1. One flow with three location conditions connected in a if / else if / else if manner.
2. Three flows with one flow for each location.

For some reason whenever I set a location on one of the condition blocks, all of the other blocks are reset to this new location as well.
I'm using Automagic Premium 1.18.0 build 20130817

Martin

Re: Location based Wifi On/Off limited to 1 location only?

Post by Martin » 09 Sep 2013 17:14

Hi,

This happens when you are using the same condition three times in the same flow. There should be a blue information text at the top of the condition editing screen that the condition is used multiple times.
You can press the information text and select the option to only modify the condition in one place and leave the other two usages unmodified.

Regards,
Martin

felipe.tk

Post by felipe.tk » 09 Sep 2013 21:29

Thank you! That explains a lot.

BTW is there any purpose why the conditions can be reused? I was never really into that type of visual programming (I have been however programming in C++ to earn my living for more than 10 years) and this is very unintuitive to me. If you are unaware of this fact (and where do I learn about it? It's not documented anywhere...) you can easily break your other rules without even knowing.

Martin

Post by Martin » 10 Sep 2013 17:04

This is documented in the short tutorial when you start Automagic for the first time (menu->Tutorial) and also on the base concepts page on the website: Base Concepts. Additionally it is displayed at the top of the editing screen of triggers, conditions and actions that are used in multiple places.
You are not the first to run into this issue, so I will probably show it more prominently in a future version.

felipe.tk

Post by felipe.tk » 10 Sep 2013 17:35

I see, thank you very much for your support and product :)