Battery usage and general questions about my flows

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

HenryFatass

Battery usage and general questions about my flows

Post by HenryFatass » 02 May 2013 17:04

Hello all!

So I just purchased Automagic after trying the trial for about 5 minutes because it is super awesome! Thanks for a great app!

Anyway, here's what I'm trying to do...

First I'd like to avoid location based triggers so I can keep GPS off (and I don't want to root my phone so triggering GPS on/off with Automagic is not possible).

I basically want my phone to detect when I'm at work and set itself to vibrate. When I leave work I want it to set itself back to normal sound mode. I also want it to autoconnect to any trusted Wi-Fi APs without leaving Wi-Fi on while I'm not around those trusted APs. Below is what I've come up with. Keep in mind I don't/can't connect to any Wi-Fi APs while at work, so this is why I did what I did.

3 Flows Total:

Flow 1 - Wi-Fi Toggle
Trigger - WiFi State: Enabled
Action - Sleep 15s
Condition - WiFi Available: [Work WiFi SSID], True - Set Ringer Mode: Vibrate, False - Set Ringer Mode: Normal
....then both condition states continue on to....
Action - Sleep: 15s
Action - Set WiFi State: Off
Action - Sleep: 1m
Action - Set WiFi State: On
....loops back to top because of WiFi State: Enabled trigger....

Flow 2 - On Wi-Fi
Trigger - WiFi Connected: All SSIDs
Action - Stop Flows: Wi-Fi Toggle

Flow 3 - Off Wi-Fi
Trigger - WiFi Disconnected: All SSIDs
Action - Execute Flows: Wi-Fi Toggle

Questions:

Is constantly enabling/disabling WiFi via my Wi-Fi Toggle Flow wasting more battery than just leaving Wi-Fi on all the time, or, worse yet, wasting more battery than leaving GPS on all the time and just using location-based triggers?

Is there a better way to accomplish what I'm trying to do (without rooting my phone)? I'm sure there is, as I'm not a programmer and have little experience with this stuff.

Thanks so much in advance guys!

commander

Re: Battery usage and general questions about my flows

Post by commander » 02 May 2013 20:41

I'm curious the answer to this as well. I will need to implement something like this if this is the best solution to periodic wifi scanning.

My only thought to your implementatin is that 1m intervals is pretty frequent. I would do 3-5 minutes depending on your urgency.