User-reserved notification channels

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

moonspeak

User-reserved notification channels

Post by moonspeak » 14 Nov 2018 17:13

I know all apps are required by Google to start supporting notification channels and I know you have it on your to-do list. I'm sure you're working on channels for the notifications AM produces natively, such as errors, status icon, etc., but was wondering if you have given any thought to having generic, unsued channels that the user can specify in notification actions.

What I'm imagining is a number of channels (5, 10, or whatever is feasible) reserved only for notifications created by the user's flows, such as "User channel 1", "User channel 2", etc. These would be channels that AM doesn't use unless the user sets a notification action to use it. That way we can utilize different channels how we see fit and set priorities, override DND, and the other benefits of notification channels for anything created from our flows. I know I for one would benefit greatly from this feature.

Martin

Re: User-reserved notification channels

Post by Martin » 14 Nov 2018 20:43

This is the feature I'm currently working on.
Automagic will provide a few built-in channels like Automagic status notification, Error, Progress and a few others and will allow the user to specify an arbitrary number of channels for action Notification on Statusbar. My current solution is to use the name of the action as the default channel name to provide backwards compatibility (since channels can in general/officially not be modified after the channel was created). There will also be a new section in the maintenance screen to delete/hide custom notification channels. Of course you can also create a channel like 'User channel 1' and use that in different notification actions.
I will likely also add an unofficial/experimental action to modify notification channels for all apps. I'll try to release an EAP version quite soon.

Regards,
Martin

moonspeak

Re: User-reserved notification channels

Post by moonspeak » 15 Nov 2018 22:49

Martin wrote:This is the feature I'm currently working on.
Automagic will provide a few built-in channels like Automagic status notification, Error, Progress and a few others and will allow the user to specify an arbitrary number of channels for action Notification on Statusbar. My current solution is to use the name of the action as the default channel name to provide backwards compatibility (since channels can in general/officially not be modified after the channel was created). There will also be a new section in the maintenance screen to delete/hide custom notification channels. Of course you can also create a channel like 'User channel 1' and use that in different notification actions.
I will likely also add an unofficial/experimental action to modify notification channels for all apps. I'll try to release an EAP version quite soon.

Regards,
Martin
Wow, that goes above and beyond. I didn't think it was possible to create/modify channels on the fly like that. Thought each one had to be explicitly defined in the app when it's built, which is why I had the idea of those numbered channels. And the idea of modifying notification channels of other apps sounds like a dream! Thanks for the response, man. I'm impressed. Automagic never ceases to amaze me. :)