Feature Request: Note field in triggers/actions/expressions

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

piz

Feature Request: Note field in triggers/actions/expressions

Post by piz » 14 Dec 2017 19:26

Please add a "Note" field in built-in triggers, actions, and expressions. This will allow in-element documentation of the specific implementation. As it stands, documentation can be placed in comments in scripts and scripted expressions but not directly into any other elements. Notes in the flow itself and/or empty scripts containing comments take up display space and mean that reused elements either don't have in-flow documentation or have copies of the notes or "documentation" scripts.

It's better if the documentation is inside the elements as it is for flows. (Although it would be better if the flow's description didn't display by default - that makes scrolling through flows a mess).

Thanks!

Scotty

Re: Feature Request: Note field in triggers/actions/expressi

Post by Scotty » 14 Dec 2017 22:35

piz wrote:Please add a "Note" field in built-in triggers, actions, and expressions. This will allow in-element documentation of the specific implementation. As it stands, documentation can be placed in comments in scripts and scripted expressions but not directly into any other elements. Notes in the flow itself and/or empty scripts containing comments take up display space and mean that reused elements either don't have in-flow documentation or have copies of the notes or "documentation" scripts.

It's better if the documentation is inside the elements as it is for flows. (Although it would be better if the flow's description didn't display by default - that makes scrolling through flows a mess).

Thanks!
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your request - but a note can already be added to individual triggers, actions & expressions. Tap the element, drag down the + sign, and you'll be able to add a note to the element.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 15 Dec 2017 14:40

I understand what you mean. You want the note to be embedded to each element separately, not outside in the flow editor view. So the note stick with the elements instead of the flow. When you reuse the elements somewhere else, the note also included. Kinda like comment in script, except it works in all kind of elements, not just script, expression, or Control UI.

Probably the implementation will be more difficult, but I don't know. Let's see what Martin say later. This will be useful especially for elements which require a lot of configuration. Such as Start activity, general broadcast, HTTP request and many more. We can put comments for future reference.

But for me, this is just optional. I would prefer the coloring first as requested in other thread.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Bingwu

Post by Bingwu » 18 Dec 2017 13:43

Hhmm ... I use the element name for notes/explainations, because the note always refers to that particular element. A change of the element entails the change of the note.
Wether this is expedient for others is another question.