Action "Set Vibrate on Notification State"

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

TraianC

Action "Set Vibrate on Notification State"

Post by TraianC » 12 Nov 2016 13:05

Hi Martin,

Is it possible to add an action to turn vibrations off/on for notifications? It should be similar to Set Vibrate on Ring State but for notifications.

Regards,
Traian

P-chu

Re: Action "Set Vibrate on Notification State"

Post by P-chu » 13 Nov 2016 03:38

Hi Traian,

In case this would help, thought I would mention that the action "Notification on Statusbar" has an option to vibrate (among others) when the notice appears in the statusbar. Also, if you are using the action "Notification on Screen", you could add another action "Vibrate" to occur in concurrent or right after/before the "Notification on Screen".
P-chu

TraianC

Post by TraianC » 13 Nov 2016 19:43

This is not what I looking for.
I want to be able to turn off vibrations for notifications during the night so I will not be disturbed by apps that post notifications at that time.
In the morning I want to turn vibrations back on.

Martin

Post by Martin » 13 Nov 2016 21:15

Hi,

On newer Android devices, you can use action Set Interruptions Mode and set to None or Alarms only.

Regards,
Martin

P-chu

Post by P-chu » 13 Nov 2016 23:49

Huh. I learned two new things today:
  1. Vibrations with Notification is an Android feature.
  2. Set Interruptions Mode action
So for older Android devices, would one need to use action "Set System Setting" (or go with a complex "Control UI" action)?
P-chu

Martin

Post by Martin » 15 Nov 2016 13:23

On older phones you could try action Set Ringer Mode: Silent which could prevent notifications from vibrating. I'm not aware about a system setting that only prevents the notifications from vibrating, however I just might have missed it. Maybe your manufacturer also added such a setting so checking action Set System Setting is a good idea. Let me know if you find something that works so I can add it to the documentation.

P-chu

Post by P-chu » 15 Nov 2016 20:25

Interesting; I would not have thought of "Set Ringer Mode" since that seems only about call rings.

Anyway, on my Galaxy S6, there is a setting option to turn off vibration for specifically Notifications; however, I cannot find for the life of me an equivalent system variable associated with it. Then again, there is so many variables to check on, and the option is under the submenu option of "Notification sound". Instead, I found a work-around setting--"Vibration intensity">Notifications, variable VIB_NOTIFICATION_MAGNITUDE --which is like a volume setting for vibrations. Setting the magnitude to 0 resulted in an equivalent effect of turning off the notification vibration.
P-chu