New Action: Enable/Disable Background Data for Specified App

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

moonspeak

New Action: Enable/Disable Background Data for Specified App

Post by moonspeak » 16 Jul 2015 16:12

I would love if there was an action that could enable or disable background data for a specified app. The same setting as if you go into "Data usage" and toggle background data on an app in there. This is a feature from AOSP, so I believe it should be possible without having too much cross-device difficulty. I've looked all of the possible system settings in the "Set System Setting" action in Automagic, but there doesn't appear to be any entry for this.

I really want this so I can enable background data on certain data-hungry apps for something like 60 seconds after I launch them, and then disable it again. Would be great for apps like Facebook and Snapchat, where I want to stop their background data use, but doing so causes an inconvenience when I want to upload something to them: I have to wait with my screen on until the thing is fully uploaded. Turning the screen off, of course, causes the upload to fail because background data is disabled.