Integration with GitHub

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

Pendrokar

Integration with GitHub

Post by Pendrokar » 02 Feb 2015 11:56

I feel that new features to Automagic should be postponed until a more user friendly way of sharing and acquiring flows is implemented. Right now, sharing flows it is very cumbersome and not really user friendly.

Since there is little reason for Automagic users to keep their flows just to themselves, then a open source way of sharing flows should be found. One of which might be GitHub(github.com), the open source git version control repository.

I have created a Github repository to test the feasibility of this method.
https://github.com/Pendrokar/AutomagicCommunityFlows

Still not sure how it should work in Automagic itself. Perhaps other users could give their thoughs?

TheBrain1984

Re: Integration with GitHub

Post by TheBrain1984 » 02 Feb 2015 15:25

Should we have one repository for all flows or have somethin like a repositorygroup (don't know if it exists in GitHub) with one repository for each flow-package (like one topic in flow-sharing-area)?

Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar » 04 Feb 2015 12:45

Since some flows act for one purpose(let's call them and single flows as apps), then they probably should be in a single folder.

TheBrain1984

Post by TheBrain1984 » 04 Feb 2015 16:13

First of all I like the idea of a version based publishing Area, where I can store my backups and everybody else can get my pacakges. But I see some problems.

- Not everybody will go the long way and make an account in GitHub and download the client and want to confront with the problems of version basend developing tool
- At the moment when I publish a flow I delete all my private information, like passwords, urls to my homeserver and stuff like that. In a version based plattform, I don't want to think about this everytime.
- Pull requests: If you store everything in one repository everytime I want to update a flow of mine I have to do a pull request and everytime you push the repo you get all flows
CONTRA: many repos: If you have many repos you have many owners and not ONE place, where you can scroll down and choose the flow you like.
- If you want to inut flows to automagic, at the moment you just click the link in the forum and the XML will be imported in Automagic, that's it. Is it in GutHub although that easy?

Pendrokar

Post by Pendrokar » 04 Feb 2015 18:12

1. You could say the same for Automagic's built in forum viewer, where you still have to register to publish flows. For GitHub, Gridvision of Automagic could create their own profiles and use those to do commits, then use a Git API for consumer Automagic.

2. Agree. While Git has .gitignore for ignoring files, they won't help Automagic's flows, since they and variables are stored in single XML files.

3. API should take care of that, without the user even knowing that Git is used.

4. Actually, remove private information from flow -> have proper naming of that flow -> click Forum -> Register or login -> Create a new thread and hope that no one else already hasn't published a more advanced flow.
I don't find the biggest problem isn't that, rather fetching flows and updating them.