Home Automation with Bluetooth Device

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

Brounoh

Home Automation with Bluetooth Device

Post by Brounoh » 08 Jan 2015 22:04

Hi Martin,

After many attempts to find a smart way to do the below with WIFI or GEOLOCATION, I recently thought that Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) would be the best way to go:
When I enter my home, therefore get in range of a Bluetooth device OR connect to a Bluetooth device, I want to switch off 3G/4G, switch on Wifi, put phone on vibrate, and do other things if necessary. When I leave my home, I want to switch on 3G/4G, switch off Wifi, make the ringing loud, and do other things if necessary.
(I have a 1bed room apartment, so perfect for the range of only one Bluetooth device).

I am sure you have read about doing this with Wifi or Geolocation a million times.

I want to ditch WIFI or GEOLOCATION to do the above, as I find them not reliable enough, too power hungry, cumbersome, etc…

With Bluetooth 4.0, I think it is doable, considering that I have a Moto 360 smartwatch and a Moto Buds always on with me; therefore nowadays I have Bluetooth ON on my device almost all the time.

I just bought this:
http://store.radiusnetworks.com/collect ... acon-usb-2
I thought putting this little Bluetooth antenna on an USB charger in the middle of my house would become my Bluetooth trigger as soon as I connect to it entering my home, or disconnect as soon as leaving.

As Trigger, I can see that you have done
- Bluetooth Device Connected
- Bluetooth Device Disconnected
- Bluetooth State

TRIGGER REQUEST:

I am wondering if you could add
- “Available Bluetooth Device”
Which would trigger when a specific device is “sensed” to be nearby. I guess, the trigger would periodical check if the “available” device is in range.

I wish I could only use
- Bluetooth Device Connected
- Bluetooth Device Disconnected
BUT I cannot get my phone to actually properly connect to the RadBeacon. My phone just sees it in the list of Available Bluetooth Devices but cannot connect to it...

If you think it is not doable at all, or the periodically “sensing” would not make sense, then I will return the Beacon device and find another Bluetooth device that I can properly connect to in my home (I could do that with my old Pebble watch – but that makes it an expensive and cumbersome Bluetooth Home Automation antenna!)

Martin

Re: Home Automation with Bluetooth Device

Post by Martin » 09 Jan 2015 16:16

Hi,

Adding an action to scan for bluetooth devices (regular and/or LE) should be possible along with a trigger to handle the scan results or a condition that does everything at once.
It should definitely be doable and I even had this on my todo-list already but I can not give you an estimation when this feature will become available.

Regards,
Martin

Brounoh

Post by Brounoh » 09 Jan 2015 20:24

Great to hear.

Many thanks Martin. Appreciate :)
Looking forward to it.

Best,

B.

axehandle

Post by axehandle » 24 Sep 2015 02:42

Martin, have you any updates on AutoMagic and beacon detection (or the use of Google's new Nearby API as a condition/trigger)?

Martin

Post by Martin » 24 Sep 2015 19:36

Sorry, no news. I did not have the chance to look into this yet.

xdauser

Post by xdauser » 05 Jan 2018 13:42

As a temporary workaround until Automagic will be equipped with native BLE detecting trigger I suggest to put 2 triggers - one: periodic timer let's say every 1m or so, two: general broadcast:android.bluetooth.device.action.FOUND to execute condition Bluetooth LE device available to check if beacon is in range or not. Based on condition output perform further actions. I was wondering if there is any way we can silently initiate Bluetooth device scan. There is a way using Launch app: com.android.settings and then bluetooth settings but it pops up Bluetooth screen every time with is annoying.
Screenshot_20180105-144733.jpg
Screenshot_20180105-144733.jpg (228.19 KiB) Viewed 22113 times

andirs

Post by andirs » 22 Oct 2018 15:56

Martin wrote:Sorry, no news. I did not have the chance to look into this yet.
Hello Martin, since you just published a new version to GooglePlay (and some years have passed) could you try have a look on that topic again please?

Thanks in advance :)

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 24 Oct 2018 18:22

@andirs : What is the purpose of the flow? Is it the same as here?
There is other method by periodic timer to scan for the BLE : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6883
Or if you prefer to use wifi, you can check my wifi geofencing flow : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7326
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.