hardware key as trigger action conditin

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

inReinbek

hardware key as trigger action conditin

Post by inReinbek » 01 Apr 2013 15:33

Hi Martin, how about a trigger/action and condition on hardware-keys?
Regards inReinbek

LightTempler

Re: hardware key as trigger action conditin

Post by LightTempler » 02 Apr 2013 21:51

Volumen Up/Down in not logged in mode would be great!

Vilo

Post by Vilo » 29 May 2013 07:58

I second this one.

I could be very interesting to have a trigger fired when user press a hardware button.

Example #1 :
The general ON/OFF button (the one that wakes up the phone) could allow us to perform some tasks when the user begins to play with its phone.
Until now, there are 2 ways to "detect" user presence : "User Present" and "Screen ON", but both have caveats.
"User Present" is only triggered when the user wakes its phone AND unlock it (if the lockscreen pattern is configured to "none", event is not triggered).
"Screen ON" can be triggered by other events like "incoming phone call" or "power plugged" (actually each time the screen goes ON even if the user is away from it).
So, the only reliable way to know the user is effectively in front of its phone would be to monitor hardware Power ON/OFF button press.

Example #2 :
When phone is in my pocket, it appends that the APN button is pressed several time, making the phone shooting unwanted photos.
With a hardware button trigger, I could detect that and prevent such thing.

tschaedl

Post by tschaedl » 29 May 2013 10:17

Hi Vilo,

"So, the only reliable way to know the user is effectively in front of its phone would be to monitor hardware Power ON/OFF button press." That's not true. You self gave the example "incoming phone call". Then the user didn't use the power button but the user may be in front of its phone (or may be not).

Regards,
Thomas

Vilo

Post by Vilo » 29 May 2013 11:21

tschaedl wrote:Hi Vilo,

"So, the only reliable way to know the user is effectively in front of its phone would be to monitor hardware Power ON/OFF button press." That's not true. You self gave the example "incoming phone call". Then the user didn't use the power button but the user may be in front of its phone (or may be not).

Regards,
Thomas
Perfectly true.
In fact for my own purpose, I want to know if the user has seen all missed events (unread SMS, missed call, etc ...).
I have a flow that plays a sound every 2mn to remind the user of such an event.
To stop this reminder, I have to know when the user has effectively seen the event.

There is no perfect solution for that, because :
"User Present" is only triggered when the user unlock the phone, and unlocking is not necessary to see the missed event.
"Screen on" is better, but we have to be sure that the screen has been turned on by the user, because there are many cases the phone wakes up by itself.

So I think that monitoring the power button press would be the perfect solution.
I've searched in the "General broadcast" + "intent", and there is no "Power Button Pressed" action available (there is one for Camera Button, but not for Power).

xdauser

Post by xdauser » 23 Mar 2016 08:57

Totally agree. I'm missing this one too.
I'm not sure how time consuming and complicated this would be to implement it into Automagic but it would be very nice if it could be included in future releases of this fine software to make it even more perfect than it is now :-).