Custom firewall?!

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Lucy

Custom firewall?!

Post by Lucy » 29 Nov 2019 01:06

For years i religiously used noroot firewall on my phones. I loved the concept of filtering traffic through a vpn and the fact i have never had any phone with root access. However not all that long ago i removed it for various reasons.
Is it possible to create something similar in flow using actions, conditions, expressions, etc? Or creating and controlling a vpn from flow? I honestly have not looked in to it as of yet myself, i literally just thought of it and before i forget i thought id quickly put the question out there!

Desmanto

Re: Custom firewall?!

Post by Desmanto » 01 Dec 2019 18:12

I remember Martin ever want to implement it built-in. But it seems to be quite complicated. It is much easier to use other VPN app that support automation, such as adguard (it also can serve as firewall).

I don't use it though, as a local VPN server will still consume a bit more battery. I simply use android default data permission (oreo above), where you can disable the mobile data and wifi per app in the app info. I create a flow to trigger every time new app installed, it will direct me first to this screen to choose whether to give internet permission or not. Only new installed will have it, updated ones will not prompt for the internet.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Lucy

Re: Custom firewall?!

Post by Lucy » 02 Dec 2019 19:37

Hmmm... ok thanks sweetie. You are right about vpn hogging power which is the main reason i uninstalled. But i was hoping that we could replicate this effect through flows and make it more acceptable. But i understand the complications involved. In the mean time that flow you have sounds good. I might fool around a little with something like that