how to access second WhatsApp account on a Samsung

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

tsolignani

how to access second WhatsApp account on a Samsung

Post by tsolignani » 15 Aug 2019 09:35

I have a note 9 and wrote several flows to automate whatsapp (love automagic!).

On the Samsung's dual sim phones, you can have two whatsapps instances, one for each number, using a sort of - I guess - virtualization system provided by Samsung itselfs, called dual messenger.

If you, say, share something with the android system share, you can choose WhatsApp, then you are faced with two whatsapps and you have to pick the one you would like to use.

Sometimes I would need to use the second WhatsApp instance, but I have no idea how to.

Anyone who happened to handle that or any hint?

Thank you.

Desmanto

Re: how to access second WhatsApp account on a Samsung

Post by Desmanto » 17 Aug 2019 17:06

The intent or action usually hidden and overlayed by the OS itself. So it seems the only way is to use Control UI. You can simulate the tap and choose the second account instead the primary one.
Look at my Control UI Tutorial : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7320
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 21 Aug 2019 06:30

Thank you. As a matter of fact I had to fix it using control UI, the matter was when I opened a folder on the desktop with both WhatsApp account, control UI used to choose the wrong one. The fix was moving the right one elsewhere and "rewrite" the control UI part. Still, I just would like a more elegant way to open the right app. Is there any way to get to know that intent? I had a look at "latest UI events" inside automagic but it just shows WhatsApp, without any specifications. I wonder how does Samsung dual messenger work. Thank you.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 21 Aug 2019 17:27

Is there any label difference for both account? If there is, you can check for that label. The intent is usually hidden by the OS itself. You can try to use logcat and check both account when launching them. You can find for the difference. But yeah, it is very difficult to spot the difference. And even if you have get the difference, I don't know how you can use it to launch certain account, unless the intents are stated clearly in the logcat.

OS proprietary feature usually are unaccessible by 3rd party automation app. So you have to deal with it in most case. There is not much you can do.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

tsolignani

Post by tsolignani » 21 Aug 2019 18:55

Thank you, I'ill try logcat.

soutre

Post by soutre » 12 Oct 2019 12:02

You might check out Shelter and Island. These apps use the work profile feature in Android to run multiple instances of the same app. It may be this is how Samsung achieves the dual messenging feature.

Adding Automagic to the work profile may enable it to exclusively control the cloned app.