Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Hardy

Re: Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post by Hardy » 05 Jan 2019 13:57

That's really good news. I just hope Automagic gets the approval soon :)

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 06 Jan 2019 15:53

Deadline is closer (9 January 2019). There is latest update from Androidpolice : https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/01/0 ... -millions/
It seems only tasker got exempted so far. Cerberus even has updated their app to remove the call/sms function.

The link above summed up a lot of other devs who are affected, including some guideline/workaround for it. Example, one of the comprehensive :
https://www.reddit.com/r/androiddev/com ... ogles_jan/

BTW, at the end, it was said that dev can request additional 2 months extension (up to 9 March 2019)
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... Q/viewform
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 06 Jan 2019 19:55

The permission declaration form has two options:
Option 1: Additional Time. You’ll have until March 9, 2019 to remove unapproved SMS / Call Log permissions.
Option 2: Additional Time & Request to use Call Log and SMS permissions. You’ll have until March 9, 2019 to secure Google Play approval and / or make any changes needed to bring your app into compliance with the permissions policy.

I've selected option 2. Unfortunately I did not get a reply from Google if they granted more time or not and I did not get a reply if Automagic is allowed to use the permissions. I'll probably just wait and see what happens next. I've not planned to remove the features in the Google Play version yet.

Martin

Post by Martin » 08 Jan 2019 19:17

I just got informed that Automagic does not qualify and that Automagic is not allowed to send SMS and initiate calls. The reply from Google Play support indicated that they did not review the form properly so I wrote that they made a mistake and that I submit the form one more time. It looks looks like the declaration form changed again in the last few days and category Task automation is now called Device automation and includes a few more permissions (like receiving MMS).
The reply from Google still did not mention if they grant more time (until March 9) or not so Automagic might potentially be removed from Google Play tomorrow. If this is the case I will provide an alternate access to Automagic until the situation is cleared up.

Sorry for the trouble!

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 09 Jan 2019 18:05

It is very upset to know that google is not responsive for the chaos they created in the first place. It is 10 Jan 2019 here already, I can still see many apps still listed properly in the playstore. Searching for call recorder, still can find a bunch of them. I wonder if Google will choose the accessibility route also for the call/sms permission. Simply abandon the policy and not enforcing it at all.

I still hope they really review the app properly and be lenient for the dev which have politlely request the permission. Those shady apps developer which abused the call/sms permission should have abandoned their app when google email them about this. They won't bother to change their to comply with it, as they know the permission they use is no the main function. With this kind of not repsonsive feedback, most likely only legit devs will stay and try really hard to get the approval. This should have achieved more than half of the purpose already : creating a more secure playstore environment.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 10 Jan 2019 20:44

I just got an update from Google that Automagic can stay in Google Play until March 9 and that Google Play support will review my permission declaration form again.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 11 Jan 2019 01:56

Thanks for the update. Although this is just temporary relief, at least we have more time to wait for another good news (be optimistic).

So far, I know tasker is the only one being approved. But other automation/call recorder apps seems to stay at playstore too, so there is high possibility for the "abandon policy, not enforcing" scenario

Martin

Post by Martin » 01 Feb 2019 19:51

Good news (maybe). It looks like Automagic has a chance to get the approval from Google. According to Google I just have to remove the permission RECEIVE_WAP_PUSH which is only a minor issue since Automagic did not provide a built-in trigger to receive wap push messages at all so only very few users that added some custom Broadcast receivers might be affected.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 02 Feb 2019 11:25

That's great. I don't even know that WAP permission exists nor use it. So no problem. Hope to see another good news soon.

==========
Btw, sorry to be out of topic. But there will another wave of restriction again this year. It is the clipboard permission.
https://www.xda-developers.com/android- ... ding-apps/

Mishaal has tested it and found out in Android Q, any 3rd party app can't access clipboard in background anymore. We should take action and prevent this restriction. Someone has created the issue tracker and I also has posted there.
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/123461156

Martin

Post by Martin » 04 Feb 2019 19:52

I heard the rumors about clipboard access. Maybe Automagic will not be affected since Automagic is running a foreground service.

Google Play support (respectively their bot) contacted me two times again about the permission declaration form. Once for a request sent about a month ago and once for a request submitted about three weeks ago. Maybe the automated reply bot had the time to evaluate my forms now. The latter response indicated that I have to remove the WAP push permission (which I did two days ago). When I submitted the update to the alpha test channel, Google immediately sent a response that I selected the option that Automagic does not comply. Of course I did not select this option. I found some posts on reddit about other developers from other automation tools hitting the same issue so it seems that Google messed up the declaration form completely now.

I'll submit some more updates in the next few days to see if the situation improves.

Regards,
Martin