Birthday Notification with Text, E-mail, Call - Contacts

Share and discuss your flows and ideas with other users.

Moderator: Martin

geekeedee

Birthday Notification with Text, E-mail, Call - Contacts

Post by geekeedee » 02 Jul 2017 19:11

UPDATE: The flow is updated to version 1.34+ of Automagic.
http://automagic4android.com/flow.php?i ... dc4ddbffd8

Get BIRTHDAY notification of contacts on the status bar by using the CONTACTS app only.
The notification is displayed:
- 7 days, 10 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 1 month before (interval is set by you)
- then 1 day before
- and on the birthday date.

Features:
- Longest interval of notification is set by you from a menu (7 days, 10 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks or 1 month)
- Notification has actions to TEXT, E-MAIL and CALL the contact.
- Actions have the phone number(s), e-mail address(es) and a greeting message already PRE-FILLED.
- Notification shows the PHOTO icon of contact.
- Notification shows the AGE and birthday of contact.
- Notifications are sorted by the earliest to latest dates.
- Free, no ads, no invasion of privacy. :)
BirthdayNotification0.png
BirthdayNotification0.png (20.14 KiB) Viewed 39018 times
BirthdayNotification3B.png
BirthdayNotification3B.png (40.34 KiB) Viewed 39108 times
BirthdayNotification6B.png
BirthdayNotification6B.png (37.49 KiB) Viewed 39107 times
Customization and Requirements:
- Required: Google Contacts app
- For contacts who have a birthday, assign them to one of the three groups: Family, Friends, Coworkers
(It is not necessary to assign a group. Then, you would have to search through all 'My Contacts', which is inefficient.)
- Tap on the shortcut to launch the menu to set the longest interval for notification.
- Set your DEFAULT contact PHOTO in case the contact does not have a photo. In the script, where it says:

Code: Select all

myphoto=mydata["photo_uri"];
if (isEmpty(myphoto))
   {
     myphoto='storage/4B07-14FB/Pictures/Holidays/happybirthdayicon.jpg';
   }
change 'myphoto=' to your icon (Google and download your icon from Internet).

The Flow:

2nd edition: http://automagic4android.com/flow.php?i ... dc4ddbffd8
Last edited by geekeedee on 20 Sep 2017 14:57, edited 8 times in total.

geekeedee

Re: Birthday Notification with Text, E-mail, Call - Contacts

Post by geekeedee » 09 Jul 2017 19:22

There is now a 2nd edition of the flow. It adds a shortcut to launch a menu to select the longest interval for notification: 7 days, 10 days, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 1 month.

2nd edition: http://automagic4android.com/flow.php?i ... aad76132a0
BirthdayNotification0.png
BirthdayNotification0.png (20.14 KiB) Viewed 39013 times

geekeedee

Post by geekeedee » 15 Sep 2017 14:54

Automagic v. 1.34+ fixes and improves the search of contact info to allow for exact display name.

The flow is updated accordingly :

http://automagic4android.com/flow.php?i ... dc4ddbffd8

igoryan94

Post by igoryan94 » 09 Oct 2017 15:25

Musthave! Thank you!

tgorfido

Post by tgorfido » 12 Oct 2017 09:53

I am brand new to this so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find the menu to select the number of days ahead. I have gone through each expression but I am not sure of which one to change, just trying to select 1 week or 7 days. Any chance you can give me a little help, been trying for 2 days to get it to work.

Thanks for the flow, cool idea.

geekeedee

Post by geekeedee » 12 Oct 2017 12:02

tgorfido wrote:I am brand new to this so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find the menu to select the number of days ahead. I have gone through each expression but I am not sure of which one to change, just trying to select 1 week or 7 days. Any chance you can give me a little help, been trying for 2 days to get it to work.
The menu to select the number of days appears when you tap on the SHORTCUT of the flow.
To create the shortcut of the flow, tap on the TRIGGER to edit it. Tap the "Shortcut: Birthday Notification" to open it. At the bottom of the trigger, you see the "Install shortcut" button. Tap on the button to create the shortcut. Go to your phone screen, and you should see a blue "birthday notification" Automagic icon of the shortcut. Tap on that icon, and you should see the menu to change the number of days.
All the best.

tgorfido

Post by tgorfido » 13 Oct 2017 15:06

geekeedee wrote:
tgorfido wrote:I am brand new to this so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but I can't find the menu to select the number of days ahead. I have gone through each expression but I am not sure of which one to change, just trying to select 1 week or 7 days. Any chance you can give me a little help, been trying for 2 days to get it to work.
The menu to select the number of days appears when you tap on the SHORTCUT of the flow.
To create the shortcut of the flow, tap on the TRIGGER to edit it. Tap the "Shortcut: Birthday Notification" to open it. At the bottom of the trigger, you see the "Install shortcut" button. Tap on the button to create the shortcut. Go to your phone screen, and you should see a blue "birthday notification" Automagic icon of the shortcut. Tap on that icon, and you should see the menu to change the number of days.
All the best.
Thank you :) Trying it now and I will let you know how I make out.

tgorfido

Post by tgorfido » 13 Oct 2017 15:20

tgorfido wrote:
geekeedee wrote:
All the best.
Thank you :) Trying it now and I will let you know how I make out.

Got it working!!! Thank you very I really appreciate your help. This is a useful flow as I am terrible at remembering birthdays.

sinom

Post by sinom » 11 Mar 2019 18:49

Hello geekeedee,

Awesome flow, just what I was looking for.
Does this still work though?

I had some errors before I had set the mydaysahead-1, but after I got the shortcut working and set it to 1 week there, no errors occur when I try the flow.
The problem is that nothing happens, even though I can see the birthdays in the Google Calendar.

Do you have any thoughts?

Cheers

geekeedee

Post by geekeedee » 25 May 2019 15:24

sinom wrote:
11 Mar 2019 18:49
Hello geekeedee,

Awesome flow, just what I was looking for.
Does this still work though?

I had some errors before I had set the mydaysahead-1, but after I got the shortcut working and set it to 1 week there, no errors occur when I try the flow.
The problem is that nothing happens, even though I can see the birthdays in the Google Calendar.

Do you have any thoughts?

Cheers
I suspect a sync problem.

When I developed and tested this flow, I had a Moto G phone and used the stock Google Contacts app and Google Calendar app. Everything works perfectly and seamlessly.

When I switched to a Huawei phone, and now to a LG phone, I ported over my contacts and calendar to the Huawei and LG's native contacts and calendar apps (I ditched Google Contacts and Calendar apps). That's when problems started :? . I had the same problem: nothing happened ... it stopped working (no crashes, no error messages, it just did not seem to see the birthdays).

To make the flow work again, I had to play with the settings of the phone's native contacts and calendar apps. Here are the things I checked on my LG phone. (I don't remember the exact steps for the Huawei, but the idea and principles are the same for any phone).

1. In the phone settings, make sure the default contacts and calendar apps are your phone's contacts and calendar.
2. In the contacts app, make sure the contacts with a birthday have a GROUP. It should belong to a "Family", "Friends" or "Coworkers" group. (When I ported my contacts, some of my contacts lost their group...).
3. In the contacts app, make sure the contacts have a calendar. On my LG's contacts app, there is a "Add to calendar" feature. Make sure to add your Google account here: my_account_name@gmail.com
4. From the Contacts app main screen, open the 3-dot menu, then tap on "Sync now". Do a sync after a contact is updated or a new contact is added.
5. On the LG's calendar app, open the 3-dot menu, tap on "Calendars to sync". Make sure to turn on your Google account calendar: my_account_name@gmail.com
Make sure to turn on also the "Contacts" .

The contacts and calendar are in sync now. Play with the contacts and calendar settings to make it work.