Known Issues on Android 7

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Martin

Known Issues on Android 7

Post by Martin » 30 Aug 2016 19:17

Hi,

This post lists known issues of Automagic on Android 7.
  • Action Set Lock PIN/Password can only set the initial pin/password but can not clear nor change an existing pin/password anymore. This is a new security feature of Android 7 to mitigate problems with ransomware. No good workaround known. You could set Automagic to be the device owner to workaround this limitation (unsupported/execute on your own risk: enable USB debugging, remove all Google accounts, execute adb shell dpm set-device-owner ch.gridvision.ppam.androidautomagic/.AutomagicDeviceAdminReceiver, add the Google accounts again)
  • WiFi scan result list is not available on some devices when GPS and/or location is turned off in system settings: Issue 185370
  • The device idle/doze mode causes reliability problems for time based triggers. Please check the help page of such triggers for workarounds.
  • Trigger Assist does not work on Android N since Google replaced this feature with Now on Tap: You can change the assist app to Automagic in System settings->Apps->Cog wheel (upper right)->Assist & Voice input->Assist App (see this post).
  • Action Set Keyguard State does not work on Android N. No workaround known.
  • The accessibility service on some devices sporadically turns off automatically. No workaround known. Marking Automagic with Don't optimize in System settings->Battery->Menu->Battery optimization should mitigate the problem on some devices.
  • Condition App Process Running can only detect Automagic itself but not whether other apps are running (this was a security feature introduced with Android 5.1.1, the existing workaround does not work anymore). No workaround known.
  • Rare System UI Crash when switching fast between apps and showing/hiding input dialogs or other input activities like a message dialog. This is caused by an internal error in Android 7. Only known workaround is to add a short delay with action Sleep: 1s directly after the input dialog to avoid to run into the bug.
  • [workaround in 1.32] Condition App Task Running might not work on all apps/screens. The condition will take a few seconds to execute when the bug is present and runs with normal speed when the bug is not present.
  • [workaround in 1.32] Not all notification texts are available in trigger and condition Notification on Statusbar Displayed. The texts are also missing in action Init Variable Notifications on Statusbar
  • [fixed in 1.32] Trigger Outgoing Call often/randomly does not work.
  • [fixed in 1.32] Action Set App Notification Peekable does not work anymore.
  • [fixed in 1.32] Action Set App Notification Priority does not work anymore.
  • [fixed in 1.32] Action Set System Locale does not work anymore.
  • [fixed in 1.32] Action Notification on Statusbar only activates the notification LED when Play sound or Vibrate is activated. A workaround/fix should become available in the next EAP version.
Let me know if you find any other issues.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin

sambarlick

Re: Known Issues on Android 7

Post by sambarlick » 01 Sep 2016 10:51

Hi Martin,

I seem to be having issues with the notification led with android 7.

I don't know if this is a known issue. The notification led works with other apps like sms and emails, but nothing from automagic.

Sam

Martin

Post by Martin » 01 Sep 2016 19:22

Hi Sam,

I did not notice this problem yet. Thanks for reporting!

It seems that the notification led on Android 7 only lights up when Play sound or Vibrate is checked in the action. Does this also work on your device? Are the other apps also using a notification sound or using vibration?
I'll add a workaround for the next version.

Regards,
Martin

sambarlick

Post by sambarlick » 02 Sep 2016 20:19

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply.
I hadn't noticed a vibration/alert tone with other apps that coincide with the led flashing.

I can confirm that selecting vibrate turns on the led with automagic.

It must be frustrating for you to have these issues crop up when a new version of Android is released, when there is no reason for google to change them.

Sam

Martin

Post by Martin » 03 Sep 2016 12:26

Yes, such things can be very frustrating, especially since Google does not bother to document small changes anywhere. :x
Maybe they even change such things by accident. This issue in particular is also discussed in their user-support forum since Google broke a few of their own apps with this change:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... CVY-gxY2-Q
The underlying problem was even reported to Google back in March and no one bothered to fix it yet :evil:
https://code.google.com/p/android/issue ... ?id=203860

Regards,
Martin

colabi

Post by colabi » 06 Sep 2016 00:14

Hi, Martin

Can you confirm the following flows are working with Android 7?

Flow: Outgoing Call - All - Ended
>
Action: Vibrate

Flow: Notification on Statusbar Displayed - Package: com.google.android.apps.messaging - Text: "some text" - contains text
>
(all: "text", "big_text", "content_title", "content_title_big" are not contains "some text" in Debug Dialog, but appear on "title" and "notification_ticker_text")

3. (this is working in Android 6 and detect when initiated call are answered)
Flow: Notification on Statusbar Displayed - Package: com.google.android.dialer - Text: "On-going call" - contains text
>

4. (copy number from default dialer: long press on number in call log > select "Copy number")
Flow: Clipboard changed
>
Condition: App Task Running - Package: com.google.android.dialer - check most recent...
> true >

... and how can I build a flow to detect when a song is found, using Google App Music Search, or is possible to grab weather from Google Now card?

... do you think you could do something with the new "notifications grouping" in 7? (when are more then 3~4 notifications from the same app, there will be displayed as one, until is expanded)

Thanks
Nexus 5X, Android 7 stock, rooted, last EAP version 1.32.0-dev + workaround app

Martin

Post by Martin » 06 Sep 2016 18:37

Hi Colabi,

1) Works for me.
2) Does not work. N apparently does not populate the complete notification anymore. I'll check to see if there's a viable workaround. The information for variables notification_text and notification_text_big is not available.
3) Does not work. Most likely the same issue like 2) since the text can not be determined.
4) Does not work at times. N does not allow Automagic to access this dialer screen at all for some unknown reason sporadically so condition App Task Running evaluates to false. Switching to another app and back to the dialer screen sometimes fixes the problem or going to recents and back to the dialer. It seems that the accessibility features work less reliable on N. Hopefully Google fixes this in an update.

What app do you mean by 'Google App Music Search', https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... droid.ears? I suppose that trigger UI Event could work but I did not test.

You could try to use Control UI with function getTextInActiveWindow() to get the text currently shown in Google Now and then extract the weather part with regular expressions.

I could add a new field to set the group of the notification and a flag to provide the summary. I'll make some tests and see if this could work.

Thanks for reporting the issues.

Regards,
Martin

sambarlick

Post by sambarlick » 07 Sep 2016 10:36

I was about to ask about Automagic reading notifications on Android 7.

It doesn't work on my phone.

Google obviously have other priorities that to fix the issues that people have and have reported.

colabi

Post by colabi » 07 Sep 2016 11:23

Hi Martin, thanks

Google App Music Search:
Screenshot_20160907-140924.png
Screenshot_20160907-140924.png (37.28 KiB) Viewed 33848 times
and I want a trigger to react when a song is detected:
Screenshot_20160907-141250.png
Screenshot_20160907-141250.png (284.36 KiB) Viewed 33848 times

Martin

Post by Martin » 07 Sep 2016 16:00

Following flow seems to work on my device to detect the search result:
-trigger Activity Started: com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox/com.google.android.apps.gsa.legacyui.VelvetActivty
-action Control UI

Code: Select all

song = getTextById("com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox:id/sound_search_result_song");
artist = getTextById("com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox:id/sound_search_result_artist");
album = getTextById("com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox:id/sound_search_result_album");
The variables will be set to null when the activity is shown for some other reason so you might want to add a condition Expression: song!=null before executing any actions.

The flow might not work on devices with other versions of Google Now and it might fail for other reasons too.
I think one of the Auto-plugins (maybe AutoVoice) provided a trigger to detect Google Now search results, maybe it's using a more reliable way to handle the result.

BTW: workarounds for the other issues should become available soon.

Regards,
Martin