Thinking of switching over from Tasker

General discussions about Automagic and automation in general

Moderator: Martin

robchoc

Thinking of switching over from Tasker

Post by robchoc » 22 Sep 2018 17:48

I have been using Tasker for about 3 months and have done lots with it especially with regards to Automation and using the Autoinput plugin.

The reason I went for Tasker in the first place, as I have purchased both programs, was because of the sheer amount of tutorials available on youtube and the internet.

I now have a very good idea how to write scripts in Tasker and need to try and move this knowledge over to Automagic. I know it's very different but learning Tasker has given me a good foundation in what sort of things can be achieved with this type of software.

Where would be the best place to ask lots of beginner questions, in here or in the Reddit forum?

Thanks

Desmanto

Re: Thinking of switching over from Tasker

Post by Desmanto » 22 Sep 2018 18:29

Then you certainly will love Automagic. Latest Automagic EAP version has covered everything that autoinput can do. By using Automagic, you won't need many plugin apps anymore.
I also came from tasker, and you can read my switching experience here : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6809
It has been more than a year, and I never look back anymore.

For starter, you can read my index for so many usage cases. You will be overwhelmed by the information, so don't read them all at once, only read when you need it. But you probably want to read some of automagic's documentation and general concept. As you can see from my experience, I take my time to read all of them before starting the migration.

One thing where Automagic lack of is the tutorial. There are fewer Automagic users compared to tasker users, hence fewer tutorials.
You can ask here for better response time. I just know there is automagic subforum at reddit, but seems not so active. I don't have reddit account and it is also blocked at my country (for some stupid reason).
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 23 Sep 2018 16:36

Came here from Automate. That had also the concept of using flows, but was way more cumbersome.

I myself would advice to start by doing 2 steps:
- Open and just analyse the flow called "Countdown" from Menu ---> Catalog
- Create a simple little flow yourself to turn on the flashlight when your network is connected.

That last thing sounds silly, but it will give you a sense of what combinations are possible.
Phone: LG Nexus 5X (rooted vanilla Android 7.1.2)

robchoc

Post by robchoc » 23 Sep 2018 18:44

I'm just writing simple flows to get used to it.

I write one that produces random numbers from 1 to 10
Then show you the number. If 10 it will exit the flow and if 5 it will say you have the magic number. :)

digitalstone

Post by digitalstone » 23 Sep 2018 19:49

And if neither 5 or 10, it will bring you to annoying Nedry's animation of failure? :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_b4_lw0Gg
Phone: LG Nexus 5X (rooted vanilla Android 7.1.2)

fagci

Post by fagci » 20 Nov 2018 12:00

In comparison with Automate, Automagic is a breath of fresh air.
Flows too fast to build, scripts too intuitive and we have freedom inside code editor.
Maybe some handmade implementations is so hacky, but pretty fast and easy!

I already struck out other automators because of poor functionality and speed of flows building.
=)
All systems nominal.