Proximity Sensor on Galaxy S20+

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

JC.INTERNET.STUFF

Proximity Sensor on Galaxy S20+

Post by JC.INTERNET.STUFF » 17 Jul 2020 22:30

Hi,

I can't seem to get the proximity sensor to trigger!

I recently bought a new phone and my old flew which suppose to trigger off Proximity Sensor does not work any more.

Is it the phone or a bug in the feature?

Please advise.

Thanks.

Julian

Desmanto

Re: Proximity Sensor on Galaxy S20+

Post by Desmanto » 18 Jul 2020 16:38

Open the flow and check you proximity action/trigger again. Try to cover and see value changes. The value might be different than your previous phone. Try to change the value and test it in the same flow.

Samsung might also have additional permission or security layer which prevent Automagic from using the proximity. Check at the app info and permission and make sure you have granted all the necessary permission.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 18 Jul 2020 17:51

Hello

Proximity sensor trigger doesn't work on Samsung S10. No reaction to movement front or back. It worked on my Samsung S6.

I'm guessing it's gone because the front camera is imbedded into the screen.

I haven't checked out the S20 but it might be the same screen setup.

Hope this is of some help.

Micky
Crude but it works.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 19 Jul 2020 15:30

As I already suspected. The new design of punch hole have somehow interfere with the way how proximity work. Some also report the same problem in tasker, so this is phone specific problem. It seems all these punch holes phone require new set of element to use the proximity sensor properly.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 19 Jul 2020 16:14

The proximity sensor is separate from the camera on the S6.

So where is it on the S10 and S20?

Gone I suspect.

Micky
Crude but it works.

JC.INTERNET.STUFF

Post by JC.INTERNET.STUFF » 22 Jul 2020 06:25

Hi,

There some kind of proximity detection going on, on the S20 but I can't "pin-point" it to the precise location. Like on the S6, a finger placed over the proximity pin-hole (or anywhere within ~20mm above it) triggers an immediate event, but for the S20 it's like I have to emulate the ear-to-phone act for an event to occur. It's like the O/S is using the Lux, and perhaps the camera, and an algorithm to behave and react like a proximity sensor. Sometimes the event occurs, other times it does not! I guess using just my finger/s and a hand isn't actually the same as answering the phone and listening in the the ear-phone!

Any more suggestions?

Thanks.

Julian

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 22 Jul 2020 20:37

In 2019's Galaxy S10, Samsung engineers were able to install the proximity and the ambient light sensors behind the display. Users were initially confused a little to notice a blinking white pixel near the battery indicator. It was later confirmed to be the under-display proximity sensor through.
Crude but it works.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 22 Jul 2020 20:42

The Samsung Galaxy S20+ 5G / Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G features an Infinity O display that minimizes the bezel, so the proximity sensor is now located at the top of the display. ... Communication apps such as Hangouts and WhatsApp may also enable the proximity sensor, and cause the blinking light to appear.
Crude but it works.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 22 Jul 2020 20:44

It seems that you have to enable it.

How? I don't know.

Micky
Crude but it works.

JC.INTERNET.STUFF

Post by JC.INTERNET.STUFF » 22 Jul 2020 23:18

Micky, you are correct on that I too can see the blinking light appear but only when a phone call is active. I haven't tried WhatsApp. The blinking light is located 5mm from the top of the display and 6.5mm to the right of the front camera.

It's weird that a few days ago, Automate was triggering on the proximity sensor, but now nothing.

No other application with the android.feature.hardware.proximity.sensor feature added to the manifest seem to work!

I might forward this to the Bug/Support section of the forum and see what administration says and if it can be properly implemented to work in Automagic.

Thanks.

Julian