Detect camera usage

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Micky Micky

Detect camera usage

Post by Micky Micky » 12 Jul 2020 21:05

Hello,

I have work apps that take my photo whenever they want to. This is for security purposes and I'm fine with that.

I can hear the shutter sound but they're not using the camera app. I presume it's coded into their app.

Is there a way to detect the camera being used? By this I mean at a hardware level. It's always the front camera.

Many thanks

Micky
Crude but it works.

Desmanto

Re: Detect camera usage

Post by Desmanto » 18 Jul 2020 15:40

Do the app produce notification or any window opened? Or maybe toast message? If yes, they can be catched using notification on statusbar, UI Event or Notification on screen trigger.

But most likely those kind of app already working in stealth mode. So the only way probably is to use logcat to check for any events, or you can also use dumpsys media.camera. Logcat/dumpsys require root, or you can use AM 1.38 EAP which already support DUMP permission.

If the app triggered a broadcast before capturing (which you can find using logcat), then you can use Trigger General broadcast to capture it, no root needed.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 18 Jul 2020 17:36

Hello

There's no indication of the photo being taken. I can't root this phone because of certain apps. Plus I wouldn't want to brick it!

I'll have to wait for the next AM update.

I'm just being nosy rather than paranoid.

Thanks for your help.

Micky
Crude but it works.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 19 Jul 2020 15:08

Your only choice left currently is to logcat in PC, not root required, but have to be plugged to PC during logcatting. Try to find if it generate broadcast. If you are lucky, then you can use that broadcast for the trigger.

Rooting using magisk doesnt' break all app. I still use the app which are not root-friendly, by simplying hide magisk from those. Most banking app also can be hidden this way. But risk of bricking is of course the biggest obstacle. Sometimes we can't risk it at all, so better wait for the feature.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 19 Jul 2020 15:39

Hello

I would have to drive about with my laptop.

I tried changing the kernel on my S6 and got caught in a bootloop. Not a nice feeling until I escaped.

One of the work apps tells me to switch off Developer Options. I'm guessing they won't like root.

We wait patiently for the next update. I think it's due August.

Many thanks

Micky
Crude but it works.