Known Issues on Android Q

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Desmanto

Re: Known Issues on Android Q

Post by Desmanto » 11 Jan 2020 06:08

It is very sad indeed. While some limitation are good or at least have good reason behind it, the way it implement the limitation is the problem. How hard it is for google to just create additional permission which allow the fine control of particular feature, example this wifi tethering and then make it harder to grant the permission for general user (require adb to grant the permission). This will be secure enough for 95-95% of the users, while still accomodating power users and devs.

@Martin : For the clipboard, I found that at times when I try to access the clipboard and Automagic is not foreground, then the clipboard will be null. Once I open Automagic, the clipboard appear properly again. It seems there are ways to workaround this by showing input dialog when accessing the clipboard, since input dialog will make automagic foreground. But this create UI distraction. I wonder if it is possible creating something that make Automagic foreground without UI distraction when clipboard related element is in use. But this certainly will mess up with all elements with App Task Started/ended.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

1-2-Hak

Post by 1-2-Hak » 11 Jan 2020 08:30

On my galaxy S10 the bixby routines could also turn on the wifi and wifi tether. Does anyone have Q on a S10 to see if the bixby routines still work?

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 11 Jan 2020 17:52

Bixby is system apps, of course it must have been granted the permission properly. Unless you want to turn Automagic into system app, which require unlocked bootloader and root. Maybe other workaround is to see how bixby routines can be called from Automagic. So the trigger start in Automagic, and then the intent to turn on/off the wifi tethering leverage the bixby.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

1-2-Hak

Post by 1-2-Hak » 12 Jan 2020 01:07

I can confirm Wifi on/off and tethering using method 1 is still working on S10 with Q :)

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 14 Jan 2020 17:41

@1-2-Hak : Great. Maybe there is some workaround that Samsung has done to make it works. Maybe it can be applied to other phones too.

BTW, I can't stand with the Havoc android 10 ROM. There is no DUI smartbar feature there. I lost access to about more than 50 shortcuts I usually done via Automagic. One week and I can't stand it anymore. I finally flashed back to android pie 9.0 (AEX 6.7), since there is no visible trigger/action/condition benefit by using android 10. (is there?) There are only limitations. So I am thinking why update to android 10 just for the sake of update. I am gonna stay longer on Pie 9.0 until some workaround or maybe Google reinvent some of the limitation back into grantable permission.

skiptannen

Post by skiptannen » 02 Feb 2020 15:54

I hope it's okay to post this here - I don't want to be the guy that hijacks the thread... :o

The "upgrade" to Android Q has me worried because I have so many clipboard based flows, and because of that I'm hoping I can keep my Samsung Note 9 on Pie. The update to 10 is due to be released in the US this month so I have disabled auto download over Wi-Fi and disabled auto update in the Developer Options, but I'm concerned it will eventually be forced down my throat. I have heard that you can only delay system updates three times before it gets done anyway. Does anyone know if it's possible to *completely* avoid the update to Android 10?

@1-2-Hak, can you confirm if the clipboard problems exist with Android 10 running on your S10?

Thanks in advance.
1-2-Hak wrote:
12 Jan 2020 01:07
I can confirm Wifi on/off and tethering using method 1 is still working on S10 with Q :)

Micky Micky

Post by Micky Micky » 02 Feb 2020 16:27

Confirmed.

Clipboard changed trigger doesn't work on Samsung S10 running Android Q.
Crude but it works.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 02 Feb 2020 18:59

@skiptannen : It is OK to post here, since it is android 10/Q related. The limitation of the clipboard is system wide, means any ROM based on android 10 will have this limitation. Tasker has found the workaround by using read log permission. Probably it triggers based on the logcat and then briefly bring the app to foreground (to access the clipboard) and then send back to service level. I wonder if AM 1.38 EAP can do this as well. Of course you have to grant read log permission first.

AFAIK, ROM update can be delayed as long as you want. You should be safe as long as you don't accidentally enable back the auto update.

I also just finish Control UI flow helper last week, and it revolves around clipboard. I also upgraded my text tools flow and also heavily relied on clipboard. My decision to revert back to android 9.0 pie is correct.

skiptannen

Post by skiptannen » 02 Feb 2020 21:13

Okay, thanks for letting me know. I'm not happy to hear that, but hopefully the actions Copy Text to Clipboard and Copy Text from Clipboard are not affected. That would really suck.
Micky Micky wrote:
02 Feb 2020 16:27
Confirmed.

Clipboard changed trigger doesn't work on Samsung S10 running Android Q.

skiptannen

Post by skiptannen » 02 Feb 2020 21:23

Thanks @Desmanto - that's good information. I appreciate it.
Desmanto wrote:
02 Feb 2020 18:59
@skiptannen : It is OK to post here, since it is android 10/Q related. The limitation of the clipboard is system wide, means any ROM based on android 10 will have this limitation. Tasker has found the workaround by using read log permission. Probably it triggers based on the logcat and then briefly bring the app to foreground (to access the clipboard) and then send back to service level. I wonder if AM 1.38 EAP can do this as well. Of course you have to grant read log permission first.

AFAIK, ROM update can be delayed as long as you want. You should be safe as long as you don't accidentally enable back the auto update.
Were those flows for Android 9 or Android 10 and have you posted them? I would be interested in see what you've done.
Desmanto wrote:
02 Feb 2020 18:59
I also just finish Control UI flow helper last week, and it revolves around clipboard. I also upgraded my text tools flow and also heavily relied on clipboard. My decision to revert back to android 9.0 pie is correct.