Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Martin

Re: Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post by Martin » 14 Nov 2018 20:31

Most likely options so far would be to provide some addons or plugins outside of Google Play that add the missing features or to provide a full fledged Automagic version outside of Google Play.
I have not decided how I will proceed yet since I have to make a few tests first to see how complicated things get.

beelze

Post by beelze » 15 Nov 2018 12:38

2Martin:
Well, Tasker maybe already on the way to get whitelisted. But what about AM? Too less noise == too less chances to whitelist?

Martin

Post by Martin » 15 Nov 2018 19:59

Feel free to star and comment the linked issue. It's probably the best way to get heard.
It sounds like Google Play is reconsidering and will grant exceptions to automation apps. I will keep watching this issue and will post the permission declaration form one more time when I hear that another automation app got the permission.

moonspeak

Post by moonspeak » 15 Nov 2018 22:35

Well this is very nice to see. Hopefully Tasker gets approved and that sets a precedence that extends to AM

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 16 Nov 2018 10:13

Tasker most likely already approved, finally a human response (or maybe google bot is getting smarter and human-er?).

It is so sad that most of the user only support one or two apps they use (mostly tasker) and ask for exception only for those. I would say that we should support any other app whose main function or useful function got restricted by this. You don't know what is the next skynet move to restrict another feature again. By leaving those no whitelisted apps got killed by this policy, it will reduce the devs and users power in the future. So we must work together to counter this restriction. Of course, offer solution and alternatives too (such as additional permission to confirm call/sms access, just like notification access or accessibility). So we don't just rant, but we are willing to change too to comply to the new policy. Probably every affected devs should provide a very clear statement of call/sms permission being used and explain why it is needed in their playstore page.

Pro tip : For those who don't want to starred the issuetracker because of the email notification, please star the issue now. You can minimize the email notification. In the issue tracker page, click the Setting gear on top right > Settings > Notification Settings > Starred > change Important to Minimal. Then you won't be notified too many times anymore when someone comment in that issue tracker.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 17 Nov 2018 01:21

I know it from xda : https://www.xda-developers.com/tasker-e ... striction/

Maybe Automagic permission declaration form should be re-submitted again using this new updated policy. But need to wait google announcement first.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 17 Nov 2018 20:44

I'll submit the form again but I will wait until another automation app get's the permission. Maybe not all of the Google Play review team are aware of the new exception until next week.
Sad that they explicitly added an exception for task automation. I think there are many more applications that use the permissions for legitimate uses that the user is perfectly aware of. Maybe Google should improve the permission features in the OS instead of enforcing such things for apps distributed on Google Play only.

mbirth

Post by mbirth » 18 Nov 2018 00:24

I start to think Google wants the Play Store to become a second iOS App Store with only simple and idiot-proof apps so nobody can do anything wrong.

If that continues, you maybe should check into how to set up an F-Droid repository…
BlackBerry KEY2, Android 8.1.0