Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

Desmanto

Re: Automagic to remove SMS and Call log features in update

Post by Desmanto » 05 Feb 2019 05:08

Thanks for the update. It is the support bot that makes me worry about the whole restriction/policy implementation. They just can't implement their own word properly.

Just knew that Automagic is not affected. But even then, similar to call/sms and accessibility; skynet always have blur lines to define which is good and bad. Somehow they can threaten the legit devs for something which have obviously followed Google's own gudieline. We don't really need to worry about clipboard for now (focus on call/sms first), but at least all app devs which have clipboard access should be informed.
Index of Automagic useful thread List of my other useful posts (and others')
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 12 Feb 2019 20:09

While publishing an Alpha-Version of Automagic to Google Play yesterday I've got informed that Automagic is not considered to be an Automation app. In Google-Bot language:
The declared functionality {Device Automation} is determined to be unnecessary or not aligned with the core functionality of your app.
so I'm back at square one... :x

The update to the Alpha-Channel was rejected so it seems that I can't provide any updates at the moment. I'll try to submit some more updates in the coming days. I'll keep you informed about the progress but it does not look promising at the moment.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 14 Feb 2019 16:55

This is why I always question how the heck Google is following its own policy. Automagic has a very clear and distinct name in playstore as : Automagic * Automation
The first line description also already clearly define what Automagic does. I guess skynet bot have insufficient intelligence to read that.

I will try to sound it again to xda at the appropriate article. Now the deadline is less than a month. :(
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (whyred), AOSP Extended v6.7 build 20200310 Official, Android Pie 9.0, Rooted.

Martin

Post by Martin » 19 Feb 2019 16:59

The bot learns something new every day. Now my update to the alpha track got rejected because the app has to target API level 26 or above. This is quite a strange response since my update targets API level 28. Maybe it's caused by the version still in production.
Since the time is running out I'll have to make some experiments in Google Play that could become visible. I'll likely try to release the current EAP version to production and will remove any and all versions that could be the culprit of the new publishing restriction. This means that Automagic will only be available on Android 4+ in the future.

Martin

Post by Martin » 25 Feb 2019 20:40

I'm now attempting to release version 1.37 and will deactivate all versions that target older Android versions since this might be the problem that prevents the Google Play support to review the app.
Maybe the update will be rejected so you won't notice anything at all (I'll let you know) or the update will be rolled out so I hope that the reduced testing period does not lead to too many issues. Just let me know in case you encounter any issues.

Sorry for the mess but I don't see any other way to proceed and would really like to avoid that Automagic is removed from Google Play on the 9th of March.

Thanks & Regards,
Martin

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 26 Feb 2019 18:00

Which mean newer version will have higher minimum android version? I think it should be no problem for most users. I still can't see released 1.37 at playstore, so maybe got rejected already.

BTW, as alternative solution, if there is no other way anymore (I really hope this is not the case), please avoid putting additional apk/link to the apk outside of playstore, which will enable the call/sms permission.
Titanium backup just got removed from playstore (probably temporarily) because of this.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/02/2 ... on-issues/
It has nothing to do with the call/sms, but it is with the additional add-on apk.

Christofer

Post by Christofer » 26 Feb 2019 22:53

It might be worth a try to contact the Google Play dev team through the Twitter account (@GooglePlayDev) mentioned in the Android Police article Desmanto linked to. I'm chocked, but it seems that with enough luck you might actually get a human response over there.

Martin

Post by Martin » 28 Feb 2019 04:31

My update from Tuesday got rejected because "We were unable to verify the declared functionality Device Automation during app review." so I produced yet another video that showed some example flows and it seems that my update went through the review process successfully. I assume that another reviewer looked at my app today since the previous video already contained more or less the same information.
I'm not 100% sure that everything is OK yet since Google does not send an email when they accept the declared permissions but the fact that version 1.37 is available in Google Play now makes me think that Automagic will stay in Google Play on the 9th of March.

Regards,
Martin

ariloc

Post by ariloc » 28 Feb 2019 10:30

Looks like you did it! I just woke up this morning and the update appeared on the Play Store and could download it successfully. Let's hope the app stays past the 9th March.

Desmanto

Post by Desmanto » 28 Feb 2019 18:07

Wow, that is at least good news. Titanium Backup also already back to playstore. It seems they finally have some human to review apps as the deadline draws near. I hope that they don't mess up again.