Shortcut on Amazon Fire tablet

Post your questions and help other users.

Moderator: Martin

dip

Shortcut on Amazon Fire tablet

Post by dip » 22 May 2016 21:27

I created my first flow with Automagic (which is amazing) which I want to execute by clicking on an icon on the homescreen. I found that this can be done by creating a shortcut (or alternatively a widget). This works well on my phone but does not work on the Amazon Fire tablet. I read that the Fire does not support widgets but it seems that it does also not support shortcuts. Neither the created shortcut nor a widget appear on the Fire's home screen. It seems that only installed programs (apk files) are displayed on the home screen.

Is there a way in Automagic to create an apk file instead of a shortcut?

Or as a workaround: Would it be possible to create a (dummy) trigger apk file which simply "executes" a shortcut created with Automagic?

I tried everything I could think of but was not successful. I even tried to replace the Amazon launcher with an alternative launcher (Nova launcher). I can install and run it and on the Nove home screen the shortcut is displayes and works. But it is not possible to set another launcher as default launcher. This seems to be blocke by Amazon.

But anyway, creating an apk file instead of or executing the shortcut would be the optimal solution.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Bushmills

Re: Shortcut on Amazon Fire tablet

Post by Bushmills » 22 May 2016 23:14

Best workaround that I'm aware of is to install CyanogenMod on the Fire. Supported are:
Kindle Fire (1st gen) (otter, otterx)
Kindle Fire (2nd gen) (otter2)
Kindle Fire HD 7 (tate)
Kindle Fire HD 8.9 (jem)

Martin

Post by Martin » 23 May 2016 18:30

Building an APK just to send an intent to Automagic is quite a lot of work and not very flexible.
As a workaround you could build a custom widget with a clickable action and show the widget as an overlay (action Show Custom Widget Overlay)?

Contact me at info@automagic4android.com if you would like to test a custom APK. I could provide a very basic version with a standard icon that sends a broadcast which can be detected with trigger General Broadcast.

Martin

Post by Martin » 24 May 2016 19:01

Here's the APK for the BroadcastSender.

The app sends a broadcast with action automagic when the app is launched so it can be detected in Automagic with a trigger General Broadcast, Action needs to be set to automagic.

dip

Post by dip » 27 May 2016 20:08

Thanks a lot. This works perfectly on the Amazon Fire tablet.
Great program and great support, too.