Edit flows.xml on a PC

Post your feature requets for new triggers, conditions, actions and other improvements.

Moderator: Martin

Wibbly

Edit flows.xml on a PC

Post by Wibbly » 17 Mar 2014 09:07

Would it be possible to create/edit flows on a full sized screen (for ease of editing), so they could then be imported to the app?

Ankit

Re: Edit flows.xml on a PC

Post by Ankit » 17 Mar 2014 11:11

You can install android emulator such as bluestacks and install automagic on that. You can then edit or create flows.xml in it and then you can export to your mobile.

Wibbly

Post by Wibbly » 17 Mar 2014 12:21

That's an idea, thanks.

Continuing on my original thoughts, is flows.xml documented somewhere/is it practical to edit it with a text editor (or is the format very user-unfriendly)?

angelatwork

Post by angelatwork » 17 Mar 2014 13:06

+1 I am also interested.
You can see the xml flows in the editor notepad ++ on your computer (and edit I guess), but (to my eyes) the flow parts show up with no order and lacking a higher structure one would expect is needed (built - in in automagic and not showing?). I had hoped to learn more and better my "programming skills" by looking at it in the editor, but did not find it so useful. So I am also very interested :-)
Best regards,
AngelAtwOrk

P-chu

Post by P-chu » 11 Nov 2016 20:58

+1

I also think that a PC editor would be nice if you have no other means. That said, I also like the option to install that android emulator with a copy of Automagic. At least the makers of that emulator would have already have already optimized their program to the specifics/quirks of the platform (or multiple platforms) they are programming in, which would be a big hurtle if your only experience is the Android OS.

For those of you who have Samsung phones, Samsung has an app called SideSync that connects your phone to your PC via USB or WiFi, and allows you to transfer files and take control of your phone by turning your keyboard, mouse and monitor as your interface of your phone. For me, SideSync saves my eyes from looking at small words and images for hours on end while programming a flow. BTW, I would recommend using the USB connection as it is more guaranteed to be steady and fast unless you know for sure that your home/local WiFi network signal is strong and more importantly is clean.
P-chu

heilong

Post by heilong » 12 Nov 2016 00:24

The xml looks like it was designed just for flow import/export. It's really bulky and not user friendly. At best you can edit your scripts somewhat conveniently.
I'm interested in an app that would let me see my phone's screen on my laptop, and interact with it using laptop's keyboard and mouse. Not using Samsung here.
I've tried android-x86 emulator and it was quite slow. There are many other emulators, though, free/open source and commercial. Gotta try something one day.

P-chu

Post by P-chu » 11 Jan 2017 03:26

Well, technology is starting to speed up with new innovations. Sony is demo'ing at CES 2017 an accessory for android devices to act as an alternate I/O monitor & interface.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TS9Hsa6iCg
P-chu

mbirth

Post by mbirth » 11 Jan 2017 12:12

I'd suggest some web based editing tool, probably being served by a built-in web server in Automagic - similar to AirDroid, or the web sharing feature of FX File Explorer. This would also ensure platform-independence for the editor.
BlackBerry KEY2, Android 8.1.0